Getting through fear is a skill that anyone can learn. If you aren’t ready to face your fears, you probably won’t transcend them. And there’s nothing wrong in that. Everything happens in its own time. When we experience fear we are usually concerned about something, but feeling the fear wont resolve anything, the opposite, it will block you from finding the answers, but we have the ability to stop fearing and start embracing.
How to Start Overcoming Fear
1. Awareness. Before you can begin to overcome fear, you have to be aware that your fears are causing a blockage in your life. It’s easy to get so attached to your thoughts and feelings that you think they all exist, which couldn’t be further from the truth. You are not your fears. You are the awareness behind the mind, where your fears are created.
2. Identify. Get specific about what exactly you are afraid of. Look at the pictures you have in your head about the situation. What is happening in them? What are you really scared of? Become an observer of your inner space
3. Curiosity. While curiosity may have killed the cat, it certainly won’t do you any harm when investigating your fears. Get curious about what thoughts generate your fear, where do you feel the fear, and how do you react to it? Again, be an observer of what is going on.
4. Live in the moment. When you center yourself in the now, you realize that everything is how it is. You naturally accept what is and you let go a controlling mind, you free yourself and realize that every moment its perfect.
5. Gratitude. Whenever you feel fear, switch it over to thinking or making a list of what you are grateful for. If you’re afraid of public speaking, be grateful for the opportunity to communicate with so many people, and that they are there to genuinely listen to what you have to say.
6. Meditate. It helps to promote an overall positive mood and lessens distress in everyday life, even for those who don’t generally suffer from anxiety.
The following exercise is very powerful and is worth repeated practice. It will work to reduce your stress and discomfort around pretty much any negative experience you can think of. Now that you have prepared your mind for learning, you can progress to specific exercises to make you aware of your thoughts.
And remember, to offer no resistance to life is to be in a state of grace, ease and lightness.
EXERCISE: How To Free Your Mind From Fear
1. Think about a negative experience. Notice how much stress or discomfort you are feeling, and rate it on a scale of one to ten. This will let you measure how much you reduce it. If your initial level of discomfort is not at least a six, think about additional incidents or learning situations until it is.
2. Now clear your mind, or just think about something nice.
3. Next, use both hands to tap on both your collarbones.
4. While continue tapping on your collar bones, look straight ahead, keep your head still, and close and open your eyes.
5. Continue tapping and keeping your head still, look down to the left then down to the right.
6. Continue tapping keeping your head still, and move your eyes in a full circle clockwise and then anti-clockwise.
7. Now cross your arms, place your hands on the tops of your shoulders and close your eyes.
8. Next stroke your hands down the sides of your arms from your shoulders to your elbows, down and up, again and again.
9. As your carry on stroking the sides of your arms imagine you are walking down a flight of stairs and count out loud from one to twenty with each step that you take.
10. When you reach twenty, hum the tun “Happy Birthday”
11. Now, let your arms drop and relax them, and open your eyes and look up in front of and above you.
12. Move your eyes slowly from left to right and back three times.
13. Close your eyes and stroke the sides of your arms again five times.
14. Now open your eyes and check, on your scale from one to ten, the number of the feeling now. IF it is way down the bottom, congratulations- you have personally changed your own feeling state. If you think that the stressful feeling is not yet reduced enough, just repeat the sequence until it is reduced as far as you want.