Since all of us depend on water for life, it is our responsibility to learn more about water conservation and how we can help keep our water pure and safe for generations to come. We must help conserve water so that we may continue to enjoy these benefits. here are seven easy tips you can apply to your daily routine and help the planet.
- Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth – this can save 6 liters of water per minute.
- Always use full loads in your washing machine and dishwasher – this cuts out unnecessary washes in between.
- Take a shorter shower. Shower can use anything between 6 and 45 liters per minute.
- Avoid flushing the toilet unnecessarily. Dispose of tissues, insects and other such waste in the trash rather than the toilet.
- Don't let water run while shaving or washing your face.
- Do not use running water to thaw meat or other frozen foods. Defrost food overnight in the refrigerator.
- Buy recycled paper products. Products made from 100 percent recycled paper require much less water in their manufacturing than do those made from virgin paper.
Reducing the amount of water that goes to waste at home helps protect the wildlife that lives in rivers and wetlands, while cutting the energy needed for treating and pumping water for domestic use. Conserving the water we have minimizes the effects of water shortages and helps build a better defense against future drought years. If we save water now, we are helping to ensure a water supply adequate for future generations.